Thursday, February 24, 2005

Pith prayers

Certain spiritual traditions utilize a word or phrase to encourage one's disposition in prayer. My favorites are the ones that intuitively activate the heart and soothe the mind, generating mind-body receptivity without requiring but the slightest effort.

One of Phil's serves that well:

"Relax in the awareness of God's love for you."

Some of mine are:

"Go to the place in awareness where you wait for Jesus."

"Jesus, please come and be with me in this pain. Help me keep it company with your company."

*** **** *** ****

"Boot me up, Lord, into Christ OS."

- - -

"Holy Spirit, take my breath and breathe me to life in You."

- - -

- Inhale: "God of light and love"

- Exhale: silently, or whatever comes to mind.

### #### ### ####

"Lord, Jesus, drop kick me through the goal-post of life! --Footballer's Prayer

Saint Michael, Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do you, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. -- Prayer to Michael the Archangel


O Lord, when shall I once and for all grasp this, this law of your life and so of my life? The law that death is life; losing oneself is finding oneself, poverty is riches and suffering is grace,
that to reach the end in truth is fulfillment.
--- Fulfillment Prayer, Karl Rahner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati Profile